Wednesday, July 4, 2012

" . . . when you have done it unto one of the least of these . . . "

Today was the day Aimee had arranged for us to visit the orphanage. Wanting to have the whole experience we walked the short distance from her apartment to the orphanage. We entered and the girls who were working there today changed from their regular clothes to their scrubs. Aimee looked darling in hers and I honestly don't think scrubs are flattering on too many people! Maybe it is because with a few alterations we made them "skinny" scrubs!!!



Allyn and I had the opportunity to meet the director of the orphanage and speak with her for a few moments. She gave Aimee permission to take us on a tour of the orphanage, play with the children, and also visit the apartment of boys she works with three afternoons a week. Everyone was very gracious and accommodating!

We spent an hour or two with the children. It was very rewarding but also heartbreaking. Some of them are not orphans at all but were abandoned or brought to the orphanage by their parents who either did not think they could care for them to chose not to do so. Most of the children at the orphanage have medical issues that need constant attention although with some of them it was not visibly apparent what that issue was.

When we walked in the outside area where the children were playing at the beginning of our visit, I was not really sure what to expect. There were a couple of workers, some of the volunteers from BYU, and a dozen or so children. The children ranged in age from one to maybe twelve. Some were is wheelchairs as they had visible handicaps, but many were not. A couple of them ran right up to Aimee and called her name when we approached. I was surprised at how warm they were to me, a total stranger. I immediately had a child in my arms and another couple holding onto my legs. They obviously had love to give and needed to feel love in return. Over the next hour I got to know the children as I talked to, listened, and played with them. Some of them parroted the words I said in English and I tried to repeat their Romanian words, with much less success. I got hugs, kisses, smiles, and the felling that these children were very much loved by their Heavenly Father.

Here are three of the children I spent much of my time with:

Marion was abandoned and is of gypsy heritage. He has kidney problems, but has no apparent outward sign of it. He is five years old and will start kindergarten next year. He talks a ton, is very smart, and always on the go. I pointed to him and said "Marion", and then to me and said "Debby", and he picked that concept up immediately. I spent a lot of time pushing him on the swings and on a tricycle.

Teo is four and has parents who have visited her once. She is small for her age and has heart problems that give her skin a bluish tint. If she grows bigger surgery could be performed, but if she grows much bigger her heart will not be able to support her body. She is calm but can also be a mischief maker. She is smart and also verbal. She was able to get the concept that my name is "Debby" without a common language.

Elena and her younger sister Oana both have cleft palates and live at the orphanage. Their parents have other children but these two were abandoned because of their handicap. She loves Aimee, mischief, and things she isn't supposed to get into. She gave me a big kiss on the cheek!

Aimee did point out that the staff was on "best behavior", and the children got more attention and privileges than usual. If nothing else that was a positive from our visit!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

sherryandbryon said...

what a neat experience! thanks for sharing.